Toby Keith cancels Ribfest appearance as he recovers from cancer treatments – Chicago Tribune

Country music star Toby Keith has canceled his Friday night Ribfest performance in Wheaton as he recovers from stomach cancer treatment, the Exchange Club of Naperville said.

The multi-platinum-album-selling singer said on Twitter Sunday that he has undergone surgery and has been receiving chemotherapy and radiation in the past six months.

“So far, so good,” 60-year-old Keith said. “I need time to breathe, recover and relax. I am looking forward to spending this time with my family. But I will see the fans sooner than later. I can’t wait.”

Ribfest organizers are reviewing their options and hope to find a replacement for Keith as Friday’s main stage performer, Bev Schafman, chair for this year’s Ribfest, said in a news release.

Singer/songwriter Elle King is still set to perform.

“We are very disappointed with the news of his cancellation, but our thoughts and prayers go out to Toby and his family as he faces a very difficult and challenging time in his life,” Schafman said.

Ribfest is returning after a two-year hiatus due to COVID-19 cancellations. It’s scheduled for June 17-20 at the DuPage Event Center and Fairgrounds in Wheaton.

The fest, held for more than 30 years in Naperville before moving to a new location, is the major fundraiser for the Exchange Club of Naperville to help fight child abuse and domestic violence.

As a result of these fundraising efforts, the organization has raised more than $18 million for those causes.

The Ohio State Fair announced that Keith’s July 28 concert in Columbus, Ohio, also has been canceled.

The Associated Press contributed.

subaker@tribpub.com

Leave a Comment