Huge fire that tore through Derby buildings was started deliberately, investigation finds

A huge fire that tore through buildings in Derby was started deliberately, an investigation has found. The blaze, on London Road, Wilmorton, broke out early on Sunday (June 12) morning, and police are appealing for witnesses.

Firefighters were called at just after 6.30am following initial reports of a vehicle fire. The incident affected the Navigation Tyre Service and Hand Car Wash and the Opulent Motors garage next door.

In an update on Monday evening, Derbyshire Fire & Rescue Service said: “A joint police and fire investigation into the cause of a fire at a commercial premise on London Road, Wilmorton has concluded that the fire was started deliberately. Derbyshire Police are keen to hear from anyone who witnessed the incident or who noticed anything suspicious in the area in the early hours of Sunday morning.”

Read more: Dramatic photos of huge blaze in Derby’s London Road this morning

Six fire appliances and an aerial ladder platform attended the scene which closed London Road for several hours. On Sunday, Moe Tahir, who runs Opulent Motors with his wife Fiona, said he felt “heartbroken” after surveying the damage, which included a brand new BMW 1 Series worth more than £30,000 being left burned out on his forecourt.

“My phone first started ringing at 5.45am which was a bit alarming. It was the not knowing which was the most difficult thing when me and my 17-year-old son went down and we were fearing that everything we’d worked towards over the past three years had burnt to shreds,” said Moe.

“The sales office has been totally flooded, it’s got wire and smoke damage. The kitchen and bathroom are damaged, and there are soft furnishings like cushions which we won’t be able to use again.

“I was angry with myself thinking why didn’t I park the BMW car where I usually park them on the row, rather than just outside the sales office.”

A large stretch of the road was initially shut off between its junctions with Ascot Drive and Raynesway. A small section of London Road from Ascot Drive to Alvaston Park remained closed until around 3pm on Sunday.

Witnesses, or anyone with information, should contact the police via the following methods quoting incident 22000335419: Facebook – send a private message to the police Facebook page; Twitter – direct message the police contact centre via @DerPolContact; website; phone – call 101.

People can also anonymously contact the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. Alternatively visit the Crimestoppers website.

Leave a Comment