County Durham offender jailed for 18 years after stabbing man in neck and raping child

A violent offender who caused life-threatening injuries to a man after stabbing him in the neck before going on to rape a child while on bail has been jailed for 18 years.

Jamie Ian Marshall “went berserk” and stabbed a man in the neck with a butterfly knife after binging on drugs and alcohol on March 27, 2020. The victim sustained serious injury but miraculously survived, despite the depth of the wound being around 10cm after the knife went in up “to the hilt”.

Then, on November 17, last year, while Marshall, 42, was on bail and awaiting trial for the knife attack, he went on to rape a child. Marshall, of Taylor Road, Bishop Auckland, appeared at Newcastle Crown Court to be sentenced for wounding with intent and rape. He was found guilty of the offences after trial.

Read more: Nikki Allan murder accused in court: Updates as man pleads not guilty to killing seven-year-old

The court heard that the victim of the knife attack had been staying at the home of Marshall’s uncle, and the defendant arrived later that night. Initially, the mood was amiable, but Marshall left the address to buy drugs and returned later in a “hyper” and “wired” mood. It was soon after he began “provoking” the victim, before he stabbed him in the neck.

The Recorder of Newcastle, Paul Sloan QC, said: “You made false allegations that [the victim] owed your mother money and you said ‘do you know what I do?’ Saying you loved hurting people and would hurt people in jail.” Recorder Sloan said Marshall was looking in a mirror “making stabbing motions” before making stabbing motions to the victim’s side with a knife in his hand. When the victim went outside, Marshall followed him and “started going berserk” before he began to swing the butterfly knife at the man.

Jamie Marshall, 42, was jailed for 18 years
Jamie Marshall, 42, was jailed for 18 years

Recorder Sloan added: “He jumped back but then you managed to stab him in the neck. The blade went in up to the hilt as you drove the knife in. You pulled the knife out and and ran away as blood spurted out of the wound.” The court heard the man could “feel himself slipping away” before he was taken to hospital with life threatening injuries. He had to be fed via a tube into his stomach for days after.

Marshall was originally charged with attempted murder, but he was found not guilty of that charge at trial. The jury however found him guilty of wounding with intent. But while he was on bail and awaiting that trial, Marshall carried out another serious offence.

Jo Kidd, prosecuting, said on November 17, last year, Marshall raped a sleeping child, who woke up and reported him. Ms Kidd said that he also had previous convictions for other violent offences, too. In March 2012, he was jailed for seven years for carrying out a wounding with intent offence. The court also heard that whilst serving a prison sentence at HMP Northumberland, Marshall and another prisoner made “make-shift balaclavas” and entered another prisoner’s cell before Marshall slashed the victim’s throat.

Jonathan Walker, defending, said Marshall had no previous history or convictions relating to sexual offences and said the rape was “not part of a pattern of sexual offending”.

Sentencing Marshall, Recorder Sloan QC passed an extended sentence, saying he posed a “significant risk to members of the public of serious harm”. Marshall was given an 18 year custodial sentence with an extended licence period of five years. An unlimited sexual harm prevention order was also made as well as a 10 year restraining order, banning contact with the rape victim.

Read next:

CCTV appeal after victim punched by ‘intoxicated’ man at Metro station in Newcastle

Police investigate after ‘thousands’ of nails discovered on Tynemouth beach as council joins swimmers in clean-up

Leave a Comment